Lamb Hotel, The

Lamb Hotel, The
01353 663 574
2 Lynn Road
show map
The History of the Lamb Hotel dates back to the time of King Richard II. In the year 1416 Bishop Fordham mentions the Inn in a survey he made of all his properties in Ely.

Of the 22 tenements on the north side of Steeple Row (High Street) to the Marcatstede, the first was the site of the Lamb in the occupation of Julian Barbour. We cannot say his tenement bore the sign of the Lamb but it is more probable that it was so named, for the Lamb is one of the earliest signs to have been adopted by medieval innkeepers. Julian Barbour's house, in keeping with the Spirit of the times, would understandably be known by the sign of Agnus Dei - The Lamb of God.

Sitting in the shadows of Ely's splendid cathedral tower, the Lamb Hotel dates back to the 15th century and retains its traditional atmosphere as a thriving coaching inn.

This famous historic city is a tourist paradise with the magnificent cathedral a must see. Just as the cathedral is a recognizable feature of the distinctive fen landscape so too is the The Lamb Hotel.